Sunday, February 19, 2012

Homemade Tahini and Some Taco Hummus

I decided to tackle making homemade tahini, since after making homemade almond butter sounded like a cinch.  And guess what.....it was!  I googled tahini recipe and found this link (click here).  Of course I ran out of olive oil and had to use canola oil (and even added a very small amount of sesame seed oil) that I had on hand. I've made 4 batches of hummus so far and it seems to be working fine.  For those of you who are wondering what tahini is, it's a sesame seed paste most commonly used in hummus.
First you toast the seeds - 5 cups the recipe called for!  Next time I'll probably downsize it a bit, I just had a lot of sesame seeds on hand.  You don't want to brown them because apparently it will cause a bitter taste.  Some people have said they don't even toast them and it still comes out fine.

After taking the seeds out of the oven and letting them sit for 20 minutes, just add them to your food processor and start processing!  Stream in your 1+1/2 cups of oil and let it process for a few minutes and.... 



~Voila~ You have tahini!   I just put the humongous batch in a pyrex dish and it's being stored in my refrigerator.
 So what to do with my freshly made hummus???  How about some freshly made taco hummus!  A friend had posted this (click here) recipe for taco hummus and I knew I had to try it because I'm always looking for a new yummy hummus recipe.  I would definitely suggest trying this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment