Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Nut Roast For Dinner?

This recipe is an adaptation of a Sun Seed Roast recipe from
"Fast Cooking In A Slow Cooker Every Day Of The Year" by Joann Rachor.  I used raw almonds and raw pumpkin seeds.

 Ingredients pictured:
14 oz Extra Firm Tofu
1 1/2 cups quick oats
1/4 cup raw, unsalted almonds
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 cup frozen organic brown rice from TJs
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup water
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp thyme                                                                 1 tsp salt
1 tsp salt-free all purpose seasoning

Mix everything together in a large bowl, press it into a loaf pan,  cover with aluminum foil and then put it in your slow cooker(!).

That's right, you put it in your slow cooker.  Weird, huh!  Then you cook it for about 5 hours.  

In the mean time I made some mashed sweet potatoes.  It was a mixture savory mixture of sweet potatoes and russet potatoes with milk, applesauce (instead of oil) and all salt-free purpose seasoning.  Yum!  I never thought that I'd like sweet potatoes, but I have really started to enjoy them.

The loaf is ready to eat.  Next time I might just cook it in the oven .  The edges were pretty tough from cooking so long, but still tasted delicious.

Yummy!  Sauteed some asparagus with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
 I also made a 'Cheese' Sauce from the same recipe book.  Alone when I tasted it, I didn't like it that much.  But when it was used as a gravy on the food, it was very good.  It felt like a flavor explosion in my mouth!  Especially with the sweet potatoes, I didn't want to stop eating it!
Cheese Sauce
3/4 cup water
1 cup soaked raw cashews
1/3 cup quick oats
1 tsp paprika
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tsp onion powder
1 3/4 tsp salt (I will probably use less next time)
1 tsp garlic powder
Blend all ingredients, put into pan to cook. Put 2 cups of water into blender, then blend and put into pan.  Cook on low to warm up and thicken.

A picture of Steve having thirds of the sweet potatoes with  the gravy

No comments:

Post a Comment