Saturday, March 3, 2012

Almond Milk and An Interesting Use For the Nut Pulp

I soaked some organic raw almonds overnight in anticipation of making some homemade almond milk 

I googled some recipes and made this recipe first (minus the dates and vanilla) but made this recipe the second time.  I figured a 4:1 ratio recipe saves me some money.

Blending in the Vitamix

Straining with some cheescloth

Too small of an opening - the next time I strained it into a 4 cup glass Pyrex measuring cup

Homemade almond milk - it's been a big hit.  
 I saved the nut pulp from 3 batches.  It was 1 pound dried nuts which turned into about 3 cups soaked nuts - then strained into about 2 cups of almond nut meal.  So what to do with the pulp?  I googled nut pulp recipes and came across this.
So I made hummus.  It had a definite different texture.  I liked it better in a sandwich because the texture wasn't as apparent.  But it made me feel better not having to waste the nut pulp.  Next time I was thinking about putting it in some granola snacks.  I'm putting my recipe, I couldn't find my recipe book at the time, so I just put flavors together that I like.


Almond Nut Pulp Hummus

2 cups almond pulp
2 cloves garlic (it was pretty garlicky which I like)
juice of 1 lemon
10 tablespoons of water (started with 3 tbspn until I got a consistency I was happy with)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried cilatro
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Just put in food processor and blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment