Friday, March 9, 2012

Juicer Pulp Muffins

Delicious Juicer Pulp Muffins

I have a bit of a sweet tooth.  I've made some juicer pulp muffins before (I like to call them compost muffins).  My family loves them, but they just aren't sweet enough for me.  Here is a recipe I just created using juicer pulp from carrots, kale, rhubarb, celery, apples, pears, tomatoes, zucchini, lemon, cucumber and....well I'm not sure, just whatever I had in my fridge that I made juice from.  After juicing I usually put all the pulp in a glass container and store it in the fridge for a few days until I'm ready to use it.  This particular batch had mostly veggies.

Now I can have a sweet tooth and get some nutrition from it too!  And I don't have to waste all that wonderful organic juicer pulp.  

Compost Muffin Recipe
Dry ingredients
1+1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup brown sugar packed tight
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1+1/2 tsp cinnamon

Wet ingredients
2 cups juicer pulp
2 eggs
1/4 cup applesauce 
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4-1/2 cup carob chips or chocolate chips

Mix wet ingredients in one bowl and dry ingredients in another.  Once both are mixed separately, mix together.  Lightly grease muffin pan and fill up each tin with muffin mixture.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until toothpick, inserted into middle of a muffin, comes out clean.  




For a little extra sweetness, I added about a 1/4 turn of Trader Joe's Cinnamon Sugar Grinder.  I used eggs, but I'm sure one could use an egg replacer.

2 comments:

  1. I've been making this with my (carrot,apple,beet,cucumber,ginger) pulp and replace egg with a Flax/water mix (1 Tbs ground flax 3 Tbs water to one egg)

    They are delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear! I'll have to try them with the flax/water substitute sometime. Our family loves them, especially the kids :) Thanks for stopping by

      Delete