Thursday, April 12, 2012

Vegan Garlic and Basil Alfredo



I've been wanting to post this recipe since the first time that I made it, but I wanted to tweak it and make sure it was great.  The first time it was awesome, but I used a soy product and I really wanted an alfredo without soy.  The second time I made it I used a different variation of mushrooms and I wasn't as fond of it.  This is the third time and third time is definitely the charm.  It was so delicious.  It has a flavor pop because we love flavor, where regular alfredo can be pretty bland.

Vegan Garlic and Basil Alfredo

Pasta
For pasta we used a 12 ounce pack of Veggie Whacky Mac.  Just start cooking your pasta according to the package directions.

Saute
1 onion diced
3 garlic cloves minced
8 ounce baby bellas sliced (this you can switch up and use button mushrooms, you can just divide you package from what you'll need in the alfredo sauce)

Saute all 3 ingredients until onions are translucent, in a large pan using a little olive oil if you would like, although I don't think it is needed.


Alfred Sauce
1/2 cup of cashew cream *(see blurb at bottom)(**Update** Fear not if you have no cashew cream, just up you amount of milk to 1 and a half cups and maybe another tablespoon of cornstarch)

1 cup non-dairy milk (I used coconut)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tablespoon Spike brand seasoning **
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2-3 tablespoons basil paste (I'm sure fresh basil would work just as well)
4oz-8oz white button mushrooms (do not sub for bellas unless you would love a very strong portabella mushroom flavor - we did not)

The above ingredients will be the alfredo sauce.  Throw them in your blender (we recently purchased a Vitamix which we LOVE) and mix until sauce consistency.  Once blended put in large pan with your sauteed veggies.  Cook it on low and thicken to desired creaminess.  When pasta is done, drain and add to sauce mixture.  If you aren't cooking for children you might try and add some cayenne pepper and spice it up a bit.  Mix it all up, serve and enjoy!


*this is just cashews soaked in water overnight, rinsed then blended with just enough water to cover them

** I use the Spike brand vege-sal gourmet natural seasoning, and darn as I was just looking at the ingredients it has soy sauce and soy protein in it.  I just can't win!  Haha! Oh well, if anyone knows of a good all purpose seasoning with salt, but no soy let me know.


Also I posted 2 pictures because I couldn't figure out which one I liked better.  I like the bottom for showing the different colors of the pasta, but I feel like the top one is more appetizing....What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment