Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Thai Curry Inspired Soup

If you haven't noticed yet, I love soup.  I've only recently been introduced to Thai food and I love ordering the vegetarian Tom Kha soup.  I love the sweet and savory flavors together.  I had bought a can of coconut milk a few weeks ago and I was craving some Thai soup,  (and since I really didn't want to spend money going out to eat) so I decided to make some homemade soup.  I remembered seeing a post from Virtually Vegan Mama for Thai Corn Soup and it looked quite delicious and definitely inspired me.

This was my first time attempting something out of my soup-making-comfort-zone.  The flavor was very subtle, but still sweet.  My hubby isn't too fond of the sweetness of the Tom Kha soup, so I didn't add any extra sweetness on top of the coconut milk.  The kids LOVED it.  My 2 year old, Lizzie, looked at me after a few tastes and said "this is deewishus (delicious)".  They both asked for seconds and Lizzie was practically licking it out of the bowl.

Deeewishus Thai Inspired Soup

2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 large carrots sliced
1 sliced zucchini
1 onion diced
3 garlic cloves minced
1 sliced red pepper
1x 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
32 oz vegetable broth
1+1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
Juice from one lemon
4 oz brown rice pad thai noodles (cooked separately)
Handful of fresh cilantro
A few bunches of green onions chopped for garnish


In a large soup pan saute the carrots, zucchini and onion in the olive oil for about 7-8 minutes.  Add garlic and red pepper and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes.  Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, curry powder, salt, cumin. turmeric, lemon and simmer on low while cooking the pad thai noodles in separate pot according to package directions.  When noodles are finished cooking, drain and add to soup with cilantro.  You may add the green onions at this time also, or just put on table for people to add as their own garnish.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment