Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Vegan Mushroom Marsala

Last week I had a few packages of mushrooms in the fridge and decided to try out a new recipe.  It's something that I've never made, even before making our changes.  But I remember eating chicken marsala when we were at a restaurant and thinking how yummy it was.  So I googled recipes and since I didn't find any that seemed like something that would be awesome, I made my own.  I love when you create a recipe and it's delicious on the first try.  At least we thought it was delicious.

Vegan Mushroom Marsala (served with savory mashed potatoes)

Pretty when sauteing :)

 Ingredients:
a few tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 red onion - sliced thin
16-20 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
1 shallot - diced or sliced thin
2 garlic cloves - diced
1 teaspoon oregano
1 heaping teaspoon salt-free all purpose seasoning (I use simply organic)
1 cup marsala cooking wine
1 1/3 cup vegetable stock
1 tablespoon non-GMO cornstarch or arrowroot starch(add more if you would like it thicker)
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Saute mushroom and onions in EVOO for about 5 minutes then add garlic, shallots, oregano, and all purpose seasoning and continue to saute until desired softness of mushrooms.  (Sorry, I never time myself!)  Add the marsala wine and veggie stock.  Let this simmer and cook down a bit to get a more concentrated/less alcohol flavor.  Before adding cornstarch mix it in a small dish with 2 tablespoons of veggie stock, then add to pan along with adding the pepper.  Simmer until desired thickness and serve with side of choice.

Our side of choice - Savory potatoes - just mashed potatoes with these ingredients.  I boil the potatoes just like normal mashed potatoes.  Drain when soft and add them to my kitchen aid mixer with the other ingredients and whip them up for quite a few minutes.  As far as the measurements for the milk, and seasoning - it's really up to your taste buds.  Perhaps next time I'll write them down, I was just too anxious to eat the marsala this time.

I used 3 lbs red potatoes
2 larger sweet potatoes
Almond Milk
Nutritional Yeast
All Purpose Seasoning (with and/or without salt)





5 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks like a fantastic dinner! I am the biggest mushroom fan in my home, so this would make me really happy. Love the spuds and Brussels sprouts sides.

    You had me fooled for a moment with your name change. I kept clicking around trying to figure out what was going on, then I got it. :-) I'll update my blog list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was delicious!

    Sorry about the name change. I changed it after noticing when I posted something non-food related it didn't sound too good. Case in post - What Am I Really Eating: Stinky Farmer Deodorant. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this tonight. I literally licked my plate clean when it was all gone. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! I'm a fellow plate licker and my husband thinks I'm crazy! :)

      Delete
  4. Making this for Thanksgiving! I can't remember if it keeps well because I'm not sure we've ever had leftovers. Can I put this on my make-ahead list or should I make it the day we eat it?

    ReplyDelete