Sunday, September 30, 2012

Vegan Vegetable Lasagna

I found some lasagna noodles with my food storage and decided to make some lasagna.  The problem is that my body does not like processed tomato sauce.  I have learned to stay away from it.  At least in large quantities.  So it was not an option for my lasagna.  Luckily I bought a CSA share from a local farm at a local farmer's market a few days ago.  What a perfect opportunity to use the tomatoes.  This lasagna was delicious and pretty easy to prepare, thanks to my food processor.  And I used couscous as a substitute for the ricotta cheese.  This is the first time attempting this and next time I'll make a few changes.  I didn't add the all purpose seasoning (with salt) the first time and my husband said it was a little bland, but it perked up when he sprinkled some on.  So I added some to the recipe below, but obviously feel free to adjust seasoning to your tastes.

Look at these beautiful heirloom tomatoes.  Yum!

Sauteing some beautiful veggies

Layering the ingredients

Finished product -Can't wait to dig in.

Ingredients needed for everything
Couscous
32 oz Vegetable broth
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon No salt all purpose seasoning
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon all purpose seasoning with salt
1 shallot
1 onion
3 sweet peppers (red, green, yellow or orange)
1 zucchini
1 carrot
3 garlic cloves
5-8 fresh tomatoes (if you slice them thin you can use less...I don't slice them thin!)
1x8oz package of daiya shredded cheddar vegan cheese
1 package of ready to use lasagna noodles

Couscous filling - **Note: Next time I will prepare more, maybe even double.**

Bring 1 cup of vegetable broth to a boil.  Remove from heat, add 1 cup dry couscous, stir, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.  After 5 minutes add nutritional yeast, 1/2 cup vegetable broth, 1 tablespoon No salt all purpose seasoning, 1/2-1 teaspoon all purpose seasoning with salt (or just use salt), 1 teaspoon onion powder.  Set aside.

Lasagna filling
Slice veggies using food processor - Shallot, onion, peppers, zucchini, carrot, and garlic cloves.  Saute veggies in refined coconut oil for about 10 minutes.  Slice tomatoes by hand - to your desired thickness.  But if you do not have many tomatoes, slice them thin.

Time to layer!  It's that easy.  First pour some vegetable broth on the bottom of the oven safe dish.  Add some lasagna noodles, pour more broth over the noodles.  Put a thin layer of couscous (you want to make sure to reserve enough for all the layers - I had 3), a layer of the sauteed vegetables, a layer of tomatoes, sprinkle a very thin layer of all purpose seasoning, and then a thin layer of daiya cheese.  Start over again with your layers - noodles, broth, couscous, veggies, tomatoes, seasoning, cheese and again if you can.  Top with the last of the noodles, one more layer of tomatoes, broth and the rest of the cheese (I used half of the cheese pack for the top).  Sprinkle some salt free all purpose seasoning on top then bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  I would probably let it sit so that the broth would soak up a bit.  We didn't actually eat it until the next day.  I can vouch that the next day it was delicious.


Delicious!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, using fresh tomatoes is such a great idea! My tummy has a hard time with canned sauce, too.

    ReplyDelete