Thursday, August 21, 2014

Raw Kale Salad



So I've made this quite a bit and decided it was time to put it on here.   Getting on here to read the recipe is easier than finding the little paper I have it written on....in a sea of other white recipe papers. I was frequently buying a little tub of kale green salad from Fruitful Yield made by Soul Vegan.  It is delicious.  I love it.  But I figured I should figure out a way to make my own because my habit was becoming expensive.  Not a bad habit to have though....I was addicted to Kale Green Salad!  Lol!

BTW This recipe makes a great dressing, so you don't have to limit yourself to just kale.  I picked up a CSA share today that contained kale, beet greens and sorrel.  That is what you see in the picture above and it is delicious!   Taste test the dressing after blending and see if you would like to add some more spices to bring out a particular flavor.  I like the basil flavor and make that my dominant  flavor.

 So here is my take on the Soul Vegan recipe.


Kale Green Salad

About 1/2 - 3/4 lbs of Fresh Kale - Or use a bag of Trader Joe's Tuscan Organic Kale (remove stems for a milder taste)
1 (or 2 if you want it spicier) Garlic Cloves
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Tahini (optional)
2 Tbsp Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tsp Sea Salt
1 Tsp All Purpose NO SALT Seasoning (optional)
1/4 water
Fresh Herbs - About 12 leaves fresh basil plus anything else you have on hand.  I've used oregano, lemon mint, parsley, chives.  Use up your fresh spices!


Combine all ingredients (EXCEPT KALE) in a high speed blender and blend until dressing consistency.  Put in bowl or pyrex that you will be storing the salad.  Pulse kale in food processor until desired consistency.  Only a few pulses necessary.  Add kale to dressing and use hands to mix completely.  Serve immediately or refrigerate and enjoy later.

Optionals that I add sometimes:
 4 tbsp nutritional yeast (I've tried it with and without, I usually pass on it but it tastes good either way - add to blender ingredients)
Diced onions
Diced red peppers (the soul vegan recipe has onions and red peppers - do not put in blender)

.
Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment